Are you considering customizing your work truck? One of the most useful items you can purchase is a light bar. These tools can be extremely beneficial for your field team when facing low visibility conditions or night time work.
Here at Camco Wheel Axle in Pharr, we offer the work truck parts and accessories you need to get the job done right. If you’re thinking about upfitting your vehicle with a light bar then consider the following.
The Benefits of a Light Bar
A light bar can greatly improve working conditions for your field team, allowing them to work more effectively and efficiently, especially in unfavorable conditions. A few of the solid benefits a light bar offers include:
- Light bars can extremely beneficial in low visibility conditions such as heavy rainstorms or heavy fog. This can make it easier for the driver of your work truck to see the road ahead, which is important if they are traveling on country roads with little lighting.
- Some times projects have to be completed at night and a light bar can provide your team with the visibility they need to get the job done. Plus, that extra light can prove to be the safety feature your team needs to avoid an accident.
- During nighttime operations, you may need additional light to load a vehicle or trailer, or even recover another team, and a light bar can be just the tool to help.
Why LED Light Bars?
Well, to start with, LED lights are extremely efficient. Here’s why: an LED light has a lifespan of 50,000 hours, while traditional light bulbs have a lifespan of 5,000 hours.
Also, traditional bulbs only operate at about 20 percent efficiency. The rest of that power, a massive 80 percent of its electricity, only produces heat. LEDs operate at 80 percent efficiency.
How Much Brightness Are We Talking Here?
The best LED-powered light bars produce well over 30,000 lumens of light intensity. To spell out how powerful that is, the average halogen headlight produces only 1,500 lumens and basic HIDs produce around 3,500 lumens.
Light bars can give your field team an incredibly brighter and broader field of vision at night or during low visibility weather conditions.
What’s the Right Size to Grab for Your Truck?
The most popular light bars come in a variety of sizes. Starting from 6 inches, there’s also 12 inches, 20 inches, 24 inches, 30 inches, 40 inches, and even a gargantuan 50-inch set. Depending on your needs, the upfitting team at Camco Wheel & Axle can help you find the perfect match.
What About the Rows?
Now here’s a real question: one row or two? This might actually be the biggest choice regarding light bars, but here are a few simple things that will guide you no matter the choice. Naturally, the double light bar is the most popular choice, as the combo produces more light.
But those who prefer to keep a low profile often choose one. It’s simple, bright, and creates less clutter on your vehicle.
Still, you’ll want to consider the type of environment your team will be working in and what will be most beneficial for them.
What About Water?
Most LED light bars usually offer water, dirt, and wind resistance. If work often takes you off-road along country paths, it’s in your best interest to choose a reliably rough and dependable lighting rig. If for some reason, you can’t find a completely waterproof rig, you should at least find a bar that offers a high protection rating.
Which Brand Is Best?
We’ve culled a few fan-favorite brands for you to search through, like Rigid Designs, GT Lighting USA, Baja Designs and KC HiLiTES. Whatever your choice may be, make sure you consult your local light bar laws. You don’t want to cause an accident with your near sunlight-level light bar, or at the very least, get an illegal equipment ticket.
At Camco Wheel & Axle, we have all the truck accessories and parts you need.
Come see why we are the Rio Grande Valley’s number one total vehicle solution. Contact Camco Wheel & Axle today at (956) 781-4800 to learn about the work truck parts and accessories we have, all available at unbeatable prices.