Due to the steady rise of fuel costs and the projection that this trend is going to continue, many companies with fleet vehicles are looking for more ways to manage their fuel costs. With this in mind, fleet management teams are opting to upfit their fleet vehicles to optimize fuel efficiency. If you are looking for help with fuel management costs, turn to the most trusted custom upfitters in McAllen, Camco Wheel & Axle.
The highly qualified team of technicians, mechanics, and staff at Camco Wheel & Axle have been serving the communities of McAllen and the greater Rio Grande Valley and helping fleet managers keep their vehicles maintained and upfitted for optimal performance since 1983. Whether you have a large fleet or just one commercial vehicle, we can devise a strategy that allows you to get the most out of your vehicle.
Tips for Fuel Management
Keeping fuel costs low can be challenging, but the effort is worth the reward in savings. In order to help you manage your fuel costs, we have compiled a few tips:
- Create a fuel policy for your drivers, make sure you communicate the policy to them, and let them know that their fuel purchases will be monitored.
- As part of your policy, determine what grade of fuel your drivers should use for which vehicles.
- Encourage drivers to drive less aggressively and with a light foot. Up to 30% of fuel costs are dependent on the driver. Maintaining lower speeds and accelerating and braking gradually can save thousands of dollars in fuel each year.
- Review driver routes for efficiency.
- Discourage drivers from keeping the truck running while they make stops.
- Set limits for purchases and communicate that purchases outside the limits will be denied. For example, a driver may buy fuel only once a day, and if they try a second transaction with a company card, the transaction will be declined.
- Set days, hours, and locations of when and where fuel may be purchased. Fuel purchased outside of the designated times and places can signal an abuse of purchasing power and waste.
- Name the specific brands your drivers can purchase. This will help with consistency and costs.
- Pick locations with pay-at-the-pump options and mandate that your drivers use this option. This will get drivers back on the road faster and discourage extra purchases.
- Remember to inform your drivers that you will be tracking their fuel purchases. It is important to quickly address any deviations from the fuel policy with the driver who commits the infraction.
In addition to monitoring company cards that are issued for fuel purchases, trucks and fleet vehicles can also be upfitted with technology that allows employers to monitor drivers locations and purchases.
While technology packages are helpful, making sure a vehicle is properly upfitted to meet the demands for a specific purpose is also important to keeping fuel costs down. Having the proper equipment can help by making sure that the vehicle is no heavier than it needs to be, and it can save drivers from having to make extra stops to do things like replenish supplies.
Contact Camco Wheel & Axle for the top quality upfitting services in McAllen and the Greater Rio Grande Valley.
At Camco Wheel & Axle, for over 35 years we have been helping businesses and individuals in the McAllen and the greater Rio Grande Valley ensure their commercial trucks are properly upfitted to meet their specific work needs. We understand that fuel economy and properly managing a fleet is essential to operating a profitable business. We are here to help make sure your vehicles are properly upfitted so that you can keep those fuel costs as low as possible. For all your custom fabrication needs in McAllen, call Camco Wheel & Axle at 956-781-4800.