As a fleet manager or owner of commercial vehicles, at some point, you will require the services of a fabrication company to handle a custom job for your utility truck or trailer and its accessories. Choosing the right custom fabricator for your project requires trust, research, and an understanding of how a custom fabrication company works.
Our team here at Camco Wheel & Axle understands how much confidence it takes to entrust a custom fabrication facility with your project, that’s why we would like to offer you 5 valuable tips to help you choose the right custom fabricator to work on your utility trailer or vehicle.
Experience Is Vital
Experience is one of the key components to look for when choosing a custom fabrication company. Their willingness to discuss with you their previous projects, provide testimonials and references, and showcase the credentials of their fabricators will go a long way towards proving they have the track record to back up their talk.
Alongside having the necessary knowledge and know-how, you should also look to make sure that the company follows industry standards and regulations, and has a solid familiarity with industry best practices and uses cost-effective methods.
Do Not Fall For The Flash
A lot of companies know how to talk the talk, and just as many say they know how to walk the walk. While a fabrication company’s sales presentation can leave you amazed, don’t make your decision just off this initial meeting. Make sure you get a chance to talk with the fabricators who will be working on your utility trailer, accessories, or commercial vehicle. Visiting the facility is also a good step to take, assuming you can.
As mentioned in our first tip, do a bit of background research and don’t be afraid to ask for some proof of their abilities. Flashiness doesn’t always guarantee a good job.Look for #experience, not flash, when choosing a #custom fabricator for your utility trailer Click To Tweet
A trustworthy fabrication company like Camco Wheel & Axle will let customers know exactly what they are capable of – just as importantly – what limitations they might have. Recognizing the fabrication shop’s capabilities is a pretty objective measure to see if they can meet the challenge of your project.
A few items to take into consideration when checking for fabrication capabilities include:
- Are the fabricators able to utilize non-standard equipment?
- Can they meet the design, build, and finishing regulations required by your specific industry?
- Does the company have the ability to work with a variety of materials and metals?
- Can they fabricate an entire fleet within a reasonable amount of time or do they work ideally with one-off projects?
- What metal work experience does the fabricator have? Can they assemble, wield, and fasten?
- Does the fabricator have adequate facility space, equipment, and systems in place to produce quality work?
Quality Is Just As Important As Price
It is absolutely understandable that price point will play a major role when choosing the right custom fabricator for your utility trailer or commercial vehicle project. But as the saying goes, “You get what you pay for.” Aside from price, there are a number of factors that you should also keep in mind to balance out costs:
- Turnaround time should be added to the equation. A quick project turnaround means getting back to business sooner and handling the projects of your own clients.
- A low cost may be too good to be true. Carefully read any contracts or quotes to make sure you aren’t paying for any hidden fees and charges that can hike up the project price substantially.
- Try to find a fabricator who respects standard industry pricing and is willing to work within your budget to solve any challenges.
- Get an understanding of the fabricator’s relationship with vendors; this could potentially mean savings on quality materials.
A dependable fabrication agency will take you through the production process and work with you to set a reasonable timeline to deliver you a quality product.
Customer Service Beyond the Sale
We’ve all been there as customers; we receive top-tier treatment during the initial “selling” phase and then once the purchase has been made, we’re left out in the dark. Great fabrication services should also include:
- Constant communication with the client, from design to delivery.
- Project management services.
- Fast response times for customer concerns and needs.
- Contingency plans developed with the client in case of setbacks.
A company that truly values their customer will be with them every step of the way and maintain communication even after the process to ensure the client is happy with the product.
In search of the right fabricator to service your utility trailer or commercial truck? Camco Wheel & Axle is the Total Vehicle Solutions for you!
With over 30 years of experience in the field and offering a full-service fabrication center in the McAllen area, our experts here at Camco Wheel & Axle can provide the best fabrication services for your needs.